Sunday, February 20, 2011

I Hate All Star Weekend



I'm definitely not looking for support...just venting. And I have no doubt that my advanced age is a big factor. So is the fact that I stubbornly hold on to the belief that defense is a necessary, beautiful and important part of the game.

In past years, I've ended up watching a few minutes of the festivities, as much by accident as anything. This year, for reasons of both choice and necessity, I've watched not one second. I haven't missed it.

The rookie-soph game? Well, ya gotta love this country when they can hold a layup drill in prime time. Heard it was 148-140. I cashed in on "the under" so this has been my highlight of the weekend.

Justin Bieber? Professional basketball needs this? Really?

The Skills competition? What genius came up with this and what the heck is the point? Anyway, I heard the Warriors Steph Curry won, upsetting defending champ Derrick Rose of my beloved Bulls. Frankly, I can't believe it. Did they like add something new to the thing like spinning a ball on your nose for 30 seconds? I'm sure that some Bulls' fans are upset that Rose has devoted such an inordinate amount of his time to carrying his team to legitimate contender status when he could have been practicing threading those passes through the hula-hoop.

Heard that Griffin jumped over a car (The Official Car of the NBA, of course...even though almost no NBA player could fit in it) to win the Slam-Dunk competition. Yeah, I missed that too (please don't send links to the video...until the league decides to play their games in auto dealership parking lots, I truly don't see the point).

Haven't heard who won the 3-point shootout. Don't really care either, but admit that the event is appropriate for the weekend and admire its inherent honesty...shoot fast and shoot a lot without even the pretense of any defense.

If I failed to recognize any other preliminary events, I sincerely apologize, particularly if they involved innocent farm animals, clowns or really big brightly-colored balloons.

Last year was the first time in years that I made a point to be in front of the TV when the actual All Star Game started because, for the first time in what seemed like forever, a Bulls player was actually participating. I couldn't watch to the finish. It's somewhat embarrassing, but I have to admit that the nausea got the better of me and the whole exercise reminded me of why I had taken a decade off.

I've promised my 22 year-old son Tim that I'd dose-up with my Dramamine and give it another try tonight. I actually do want to see how Rose plays with the East's mega-star-studded starting team. Can't make any promises on how long I'll stick with it, but if I were you, I'd go with the under.

No comments:

Post a Comment